I. Repentance is a tenet of the gospel. MAT 3:1-2; MAR 1:14-15; LUK 24:46-47; ACT 20:20-21.
II. repent: To affect (oneself) with contrition or regret for something done; to change one's mind with regard to past action or conduct through dissatisfaction with it or its results.
A. Repentance involves sorrow over what was done, not just sorrow over consequence.
2CO 7:9-11; GEN 4:13-14.
B. It involves a change of mind. 1KI 8:46-48; MAT 21:28-31.
III. Repentance is obedience to a commandment of God. ACT 17:30.
A. God gives the ability to repent. ACT 5:31; 2TI 2:25.
B. Repentance evidences that one is indwelt by God. 1JO 3:24.
IV. Repentance is an ongoing experience in the Christian life. REV 2:5, 16, 22; 3:3, 19.
V. Repentance is demonstrated by works. ACT 26:20; LUK 3:8, 10-14.
A. The changed mind demonstrates itself in changed behavior.
B. Repentance leads to baptism and a life of obedience to God. ACT 2:38; LUK 3:3.
C. Repentance is essentially change.
1. It is an experience in something new and different.
2. We rise from the baptism of repentance to walk in the newness of life. ROM 6:3.
D. Repentance results in putting off old practices of sin and putting on new practices of
righteousness. EPH 4:17-32.
1. We must stedfastly practice righteousness until it becomes habitual, until it
becomes our manner.
2. Consider the marvelous capacity of habit. When we do something long enough, it
becomes part of us.
E. Repentance involves abandonment and renunciation of false religion. PHIL 3:7-8.
VI. Consider why people do not repent.
A. They fear the new and the unknown. LUK 5:39.
B. They fear men. JOH 12:42-43.
C. Their pride will not permit them to admit they were wrong. LUK 20:1-8.
D. They simply love their sin and are averse to abandoning it. JER 44:16-17.
E. They errantly assume that they are exempt from the call to repentance. LUK 3:8.
VII. Mark the following points in dealing with the sin that you repent of.
A. Deal with all sin as one sin leads to another. ROM 6:19; EZE 16:49-50.
B. Watch and pray lest you enter into temptation. MAT 26:41.
C. Flee lust in its inception and avoid occasions to sin. 2TI 2:22; ROM 13:14.
D. Persevere in dealing with sin. GAL 6:9; HEB 12:3-4.
1. It takes continual practice to establish good habits.
2. We must deny ourselves DAILY. LUK 9:23.
E. Trust in the mercy of God. PSA 103:8-18.
1. Sin mixes itself with all we do. ROM 7:21.
2. God's mercy is upon those who fear Him. He bears with their imperfections!
3. God promised to be merciful to our unrighteousness. HEB 8:12.
4. We do not despise a man because he limps when he walks or stutters when he talks.
Repentance 3-10-19 Page 1 of 2
F. Be strong in the Lord. 1CO 16:13; EPH 6:10; 2TI 2:1.
1. Our combat is a wrestling match. When the enemy has hold of us we MUST either
resist or fall.
2. We become strong through:
a. prayer. HEB 4:16.
b. faith. ROM 5:2; 1JO 5:4.
c. intake of Bible doctrine. COL 1:10-11; 1JO 2:14.
d. using the strength God gives and obeying His word.
HEB 5:13-14; JAM 1:25; GAL 5:16.
G. Consider the intelligence report of JAM 4:7. Satan can be beaten!
H. Consider that you may be stronger when you struggle with a stubborn temptation than when you conquer a lesser one. Is a man weaker because he cannot run as fast with a 100 lb. weight as without?
VIII. Ministers fear finding church members being impenitent. 2CO 12:20-21.
A. They are humbled by this.
B. They bewail those who do not repent.
IX. The alternative to repentance is perishing. LUK 13:1-5; ROM 2:4-5.
A. God is not willing that His children should perish. 2PE 3:9; EZE 33:11.
B. The wicked who do not repent store up wrath against themselves.
1. They despise the goodness of God to them.
2. They blaspheme God for His judgments. REV 16:9-11.
3. Whether God do them good or evil in this life, they will not repent.
X. The time to repent is now while there is space to do so. ISA 55:6-7; LUK 13:6-9; HEB 3:15.
XI. (JOB 34:31-32) Surely it is meet to be said unto God, I have borne chastisement, I will not offend
any more: That which I see not teach thou me: if I have done iniquity, I will do no more.
Repentance 3-10-19 Page 1 of 2
|Repentance (2019 version).pdf||57.28 KB|