(The following meditation was authored by Brother Stephen Pham)
Why the Flood?
A. (GEN 6:11) The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence.
1. corrupt: as pa. pple. Corrupted, depraved, spoiled.
a. The total depravity of man was on full display. ROM 3:9, 15-18.
b. True religion was, except for Noah, gone. Corrupt religion lends itself to
violence. GEN 4:8; PSA 106:35-38.
c. The condition was universal: “...all flesh had corrupted his way...” (GEN 6:12).
2. Prior to the Flood, there had been no law given for capital punishment.
GEN 4:15 c/w GEN 9:5-6.
Justice and Judgment
I. Sometimes we are called upon to render judgment in the court of the church and we may be called upon to sit on a jury in a civil court.
A. As a church we have judicial authority over our individual members. 1CO 5:12; 6:1-5.
1. 2. 3.
B. In 1.
Our power only extends to separating company from an offender.
Church membership is voluntary and apostates are free to leave. JOH 6:66-68. This is a power of free association that can only be harmed by church incorporation, not helped by it.
Noah, the Faithful Preacher
A. Noah was a preacher of righteousness. 2PE 2:5.
1. He preached unto his wicked generation by the Spirit of God.
2PE 1:21 c/w 1PE 3:18-20.
a. NOTE: heaven is a place of the spirits of just men made perfect (HEB 12:23),
but hell is a place of the spirits of unjust men made prisoners.
b. There they must wait with chained fallen angels “...unto the judgment of the
great day” (JUDE 1:6 c/w REV 20:13).
c. Noah ministered while on an ark-building project. Vital family or business
concerns should not overcome the minister's calling to God's work.
(Genesis 8:22) While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
Coping With Dying
I. Until Christ returns, we must come to terms with death. 1CO 15:54.
A. The grave is man’s long home. ECC 12:5; JOB 17:13.
B. We have no guarantee of tomorrow. PRO 27:1.
C. Fools assume too much about their prosperity and longevity.
LUK 12:19-21; JAM 4:13-14.
D. Some in history have had a prescribed window of time to prepare for death (according to estimates of physicians, etc.) but only a few have had a prophetic word from God about their impending death, as Hezekiah. ISA 38:1.
1. Hezekiah’s response of effectual fervent prayer availed much: God extended his
The Dry Valley Filled With Water (2 Kings 3)
1. This event takes place during the days of the prophet Elisha.
A. Elisha's name means, “God is my salvation.”
B. As a prophet, he was indwelt by the spirit of Christ. 1PE 1:10-11.
C. Thus we can see Christ in his life, ministry and miracles. JOH 5:39.
2. This narrative begins by introducing the reign of Jehoram the son of Ahab, over Israel. vs. 1-3.
A. Although his wickedness was not to the degree of his parents, he still wrought evil in God's
(5) And when Haman saw that Mordecai bowed not, nor did him reverence, then was Haman full of wrath.
(6) And he thought scorn to lay hands on Mordecai alone; for they had shewed him the people of Mordecai: wherefore Haman sought to destroy all the Jews that were throughout the whole kingdom of Ahasuerus, even the people of Mordecai.
(7) In the first month, that is, the month Nisan, in the twelfth year of king Ahasuerus, they cast Pur, that is, the lot, before Haman from day to day, and from month to month, to the twelfth month, that is, the month Adar.
The Power in Salvation
(ROM 5:6) For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
I. Consider the scheme of the eternal salvation of sinners generally proffered by gospel preachers.
A. Jesus Christ died for all sinners without exception.
B. His atonement did not eternally save anyone but only made this salvation a possibility.
C. The acquisition of this salvation is conditioned upon the sinner's belief of the gospel.
D. Only the accepters end up in heaven. Others end up in hell.
(Acts 2:26) Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:
(Acts 2:27) Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.