Noah, the Faithful Preacher
A. Noah was a preacher of righteousness. 2PE 2:5.
1. He preached unto his wicked generation by the Spirit of God.
2PE 1:21 c/w 1PE 3:18-20.
a. NOTE: heaven is a place of the spirits of just men made perfect (HEB 12:23),
but hell is a place of the spirits of unjust men made prisoners.
b. There they must wait with chained fallen angels “...unto the judgment of the
great day” (JUDE 1:6 c/w REV 20:13).
c. Noah ministered while on an ark-building project. Vital family or business
concerns should not overcome the minister's calling to God's work.
(Genesis 8:22) While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
Coping With Dying
I. Until Christ returns, we must come to terms with death. 1CO 15:54.
A. The grave is man’s long home. ECC 12:5; JOB 17:13.
B. We have no guarantee of tomorrow. PRO 27:1.
C. Fools assume too much about their prosperity and longevity.
LUK 12:19-21; JAM 4:13-14.
D. Some in history have had a prescribed window of time to prepare for death (according to estimates of physicians, etc.) but only a few have had a prophetic word from God about their impending death, as Hezekiah. ISA 38:1.
1. Hezekiah’s response of effectual fervent prayer availed much: God extended his
The Dry Valley Filled With Water (2 Kings 3)
1. This event takes place during the days of the prophet Elisha.
A. Elisha's name means, “God is my salvation.”
B. As a prophet, he was indwelt by the spirit of Christ. 1PE 1:10-11.
C. Thus we can see Christ in his life, ministry and miracles. JOH 5:39.
2. This narrative begins by introducing the reign of Jehoram the son of Ahab, over Israel. vs. 1-3.
A. Although his wickedness was not to the degree of his parents, he still wrought evil in God's
(5) And when Haman saw that Mordecai bowed not, nor did him reverence, then was Haman full of wrath.
(6) And he thought scorn to lay hands on Mordecai alone; for they had shewed him the people of Mordecai: wherefore Haman sought to destroy all the Jews that were throughout the whole kingdom of Ahasuerus, even the people of Mordecai.
(7) In the first month, that is, the month Nisan, in the twelfth year of king Ahasuerus, they cast Pur, that is, the lot, before Haman from day to day, and from month to month, to the twelfth month, that is, the month Adar.
The Power in Salvation
(ROM 5:6) For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
I. Consider the scheme of the eternal salvation of sinners generally proffered by gospel preachers.
A. Jesus Christ died for all sinners without exception.
B. His atonement did not eternally save anyone but only made this salvation a possibility.
C. The acquisition of this salvation is conditioned upon the sinner's belief of the gospel.
D. Only the accepters end up in heaven. Others end up in hell.
(Acts 2:26) Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:
(Acts 2:27) Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
Profiting From Your Bible
(1TI 4:15) Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all.
I. This series assumes Scripture to be God’s inspired revelation in written form. 2TI 3:16-17.
A. This also assumes that Scripture is preserved. PSA 12:6-7.
B. This also assumes that Scripture is pure. PRO 30:5.
II. Profiting from Scripture depends upon:
A. having the true Scripture. 2CO 2:17.
B. believing it is the true Scripture. 1TH 2:13.
C. having necessary spiritual qualifications. JOH 8:42-44; 1CO 2:14.
(Genesis 13:11) Then Lot chose him all the plain of Jordan; and Lot journeyed east: and they separated themselves the one from the other.
(38) Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee.
(39) But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:
(40) For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.